Skip to content

In order to let property in Portugal to paying guests, all premises must be licensed under the terms of an ‘Alojamento Local’.  As property owners and licence holders, we are required to comply with the conditions of our Alojamento Local.  This includes a requirement to record the entry, exit and identification details of all non-Portuguese nationals staying having paid for accommodation. Villa Quina’s AL number is 2895/AL and Villa Susana’s AL number is 32020/AL

Therefore we will be asking you to complete a form which MUST be completed prior to your arrival at your accommodation requesting this information. Unfortunately we cannot permit access to the property by our paying guests until this information has been provided (for the reasons set out below).  Our accountants carry out the statutory return to the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras on our behalf.  We DO NOT retain these forms, we are not permitted to do so by Portuguese law.  You will receive a secure logon to our own client website where you will be able to download the relevant SEF form and upload for all members of your travelling party via our secured website . You are welcome to e-mail them if you wish.

With thanks to the website, the details of these requirements, and the relevant legislation is listed below, along with some FAQ.

“Since 2015 Portugal has more strictly enforced a long-standing law requiring anyone providing paid holiday accommodation to record the entry, exit, and identification details of all non-Portuguese nationals who use that accommodation. This law has been brought into force in Portugal and most other EU countries at some point since the gradual implementation of the 1990 Schengen Agreement that aims to stop human trafficking and other illegal practices. In this case, it is specifically Article 45 of the Schengen Agreement and the recent Alojamento Local law in Portugal that has brought this rule into sharper focus.

The governing body that monitors the movement of foreigners is SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras or the Immigration and Borders Service).

Who must submit identity documents?

Each non-Portuguese person, regardless of age (and including children) shall present identity documents.

What counts as a valid identity document?

  • Passport/identity card or equivalent government-issued photo ID
  • Documents issued under the relevant agreements between the States Parties to the North Atlantic Treaty
  • Laissez-passer issued by the authorities of the State of nationality or the State that represents them
  • Flight crew license or certificate
  • Seafarer’s identity document, when on duty
  • Maritime registration certificate, while on duty
  • Residence permit, extension of stay or the identity card given to diplomats and their administrative/ domestic staff or officials of international organisations based in Portugal and members of their families
  • Birth certificate or (where guests are from a country that allows a child to be entered on the passport of their parents) an entry on the parent’s passport for the child, or an entry on the passport of whomever has parental authority over the child
  • Other documents issued by domestic or foreign authorities when, for acceptable reasons, (theft, robbery, etc.) one cannot present a passport or other document
  • In all other cases (total absence of documents) should be contacted local police and/or the respective consular authorities

What happens if someone refuses to provide ID?

A person renting accommodation or member of a group doing so who refuses to confirm identify should not be accepted.  Not collecting the required information can lead to the establishment being subject to the imposition of heavy penalties (imprisonment and fines).

What about those who own private homes and commercially provide rental of rooms to foreigners?

Any rental of bedrooms, large portions of a house, an entire house, a villa, a tent, caravan, boat or any other form of accommodation to a foreigner requires registration of that guest. This is mandatory.

Can a lodging establishment hold the identity documents for any reason?

No. Only the police and judicial authorities have the power to withhold or retain these documents and only for the period of time necessary for their processing.”

Back To Top